Updated at 6:05 a.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 4, 2023.
Thousands of Colorado Kaiser Permanente health care workers plan to walk off the job Wednesday morning as contract negotiations continue between their union and employer. The strike action could disrupt operations at 30 clinics across the state.
The union, Service Employees International Union, has announced plans for the strike to last three days. Its Colorado chapter represents roughly 3,000 nurses, lab techs and call center staffers, among others.
Workers will picket outside of affected clinics, said Stephanie Felix-Sowy, the union’s Colorado chapter president.
“The frustration for frontline health care workers is different at this moment,” Felix-Sowy said. “We're pretty far on a lot of pieces.”
Clinics, pharmacies and offices will remain open and staffed with doctors, registered nurses, managers and contract staff. About 44 percent of the health care system’s workers are SEIU Local 105 members, according to Kaiser.
"We may need to reschedule certain non-urgent appointments and procedures," Kaiser said in a statement to members. "We will contact affected members in advance if necessary. There is no need to call or email your doctor’s office at this time."
The union provided CPR News with a list of affected clinics where worker contracts expired on Sept. 30. Clinics that are not listed will not see demonstrations outside.
Here they are, organized by city:
- Kaiser Aurora Centrepoint Medical Offices, 14701 E Exposition Ave.
- Smoky Hill Medical Offices, 16290 E Quincy Ave.
- Waterpark Offices, 2610 S Parker Rd.
- Baseline Medical Offices, 580 Mohawk Dr.
- Brighton Medical Offices, 859 S 4th Ave.
- Castle Rock Medical Offices, 4318 Trail Boss Dr.
- Arapahoe Medical Offices, 5555 E Arapahoe Rd.
- Briargate Medical Offices, 4105 Briargate Pkwy.
- Parkside Medical Offices, 215 Parkside Dr.
- Premier Medical Offices, 3920 N Union Blvd.
- East Denver Medical Offices, 10400 E Alameda Ave.
- Franklin Medical Offices, 2045 Franklin St Ste 200
- Northfield Support Services, 11000 E 45th Ave.
- Skyline Medical Offices, 1375 E 20th Ave.
- Englewood Medical Offices, 2955 S Broadway
- Fort Collins Medical Offices, 2950 E Harmony Rd. Ste 190
- Greeley Medical Offices, 2429 35th Ave.
- Highlands Ranch Medical Offices, 9285 Hepburn St.
- Rock Creek Medical Offices, 280 Exempla Cir.
- Lakewood Medical Offices, 8383 W Alameda Ave.
- Ken Caryl Medical Offices, 7600 Shaffer Pkwy.
- Southwest Medical Offices, 5257 S Wadsworth Blvd.
- Lone Tree Medical Offices, 10240 Park Meadows Dr.
- Longmont Medical Offices, 2345 Bent Way
- Loveland Medical Offices, 4901 Thompson Pkwy.
- Parker Medical Offices, 10168 Parkglenn Way
- Acero Medical Office Building, 2625 W Pueblo Blvd.
- Pueblo North Medical Offices, 3670 Parker Blvd.
- Hidden Lake Medical Offices, 7701 Sheridan Blvd.
- Westminster Medical Offices, 11245 Huron St.
- Wheat Ridge Medical Offices,4803 Ward Rd.
You want to know what is really going on these days, especially in Colorado. We can help you keep up. The Lookout is a free, daily email newsletter with news and happenings from all over Colorado. Sign up here and we will see you in the morning!