Lightning Sparked Summit County Wildfire, Investigators Say
Investigators say lightning caused a wildfire that scorched 238 acres north of Silverthorne.
The Summit County Sheriff's Office said Thursday that firefighters have been pulled from the Brush Creek Fire, which was fully contained Sunday. No one was hurt, and no buildings were damaged.
The blaze started Friday afternoon between Ute Pass and Green Mountain Reservoir and grew substantially that night, burning through tall, dry grass while wind blew it toward a nearby ridge. The Summit Daily reports the fire will not be considered extinguished until the first winter snow douses the smoldering grass.
Nearly 80 percent of the fire burned on the private Brush Creek Ranch while the other 20 percent was on Forest Service land.
You want to know what is really going on these days, especially in Colorado. We can help you keep up. The Lookout is a free, daily email newsletter with news and happenings from all over Colorado. Sign up here and we will see you in the morning!