Colorado gained only one hate group overall in 2015, for a total of 16 operating in the state, according to a new report from the Southern Poverty Law Center. But about a half-dozen new groups formed in 2015, said Mark Potok, the report's editor.
"What we've seen in the last year or so is the rise of an additional several anti-gay groups," said Potok. "I think what has happened is that LGBT people have made such dramatic advances in just the last few years, [...] that we see a real fury developing in the Christian right, real anger at these losses."
Colorado has been a locus for anti-LGBT groups, especially around Colorado Springs for many years, says Potok.
As for a link between hate groups and acts of violence, like the Planned Parenthood shooting, Potok says hateful rhetoric often provides a justification for political violence.
"These kinds of attacks come from some place. In the case of the attack on Planned Parenthood, it seems absolutely crystal clear that the shooter had taken in some absolutely false propaganda from the political right about supposedly horrible things that Planned Parenthood was doing in terms of chopping up little children and sell their parts and so on," he said.
Still, the big picture for hate groups in the state is "essentially unchanged," says Potok.
Below is the full list of hate groups in the state, including their location and particular brand of enmity as categorized by SPLC.
- Blood and Honour Social Club, Colorado: racist
- Wolves of Vinland, Colorado: white nationalist
- National Socialist Movement, Colorado: neo-Nazi
- Christ the King Church, Larkspur, Colorado: anti-LGBT
- Pray in Jesus Name Project, The,Colorado Springs, Colorado: anti-LGBT
- Family Research Institute, Colorado Springs, Colorado: anti-LGBT
- Ku Klos Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, Colorado Springs, Colorado: Ku Klux Klan
- Friendship Assembly of God Church, Colorado Springs, Colorado: anti-LGBT
- Aryan Strikeforce, Colorado: racist
- Generations With Vision, Elizabeth, Colorado: anti-LGBT
- Colorado Alliance for Immigration Reform, Lakewood, Colorado: anti-immigrant
- Israel United In Christ, Denver, Colorado: black separatist
- MSR Productions, Wheat Ridge, Colorado: racist music
- Nation of Islam, Denver, Colorado: black separatist
- The Brother Nathanael Foundation, Frisco, Colorado: general hate
- Scriptures for America Ministries, Laporte, Colorado: Christian identity
You want to know what is really going on these days, especially in Colorado. We can help you keep up. The Lookout is a free, daily email newsletter with news and happenings from all over Colorado. Sign up here and we will see you in the morning!