Some big names -- including soprano Renee Fleming and cellist Yo-Yo Ma -- are set to perform at Boettcher Concert Hall. And conductor Brett Mitchell will assume full-time duties as the orchestra’s new music director.
A few highlights:
- Sept. 9: Soprano Renee Fleming performs with the symphony. The symphony is billing it as a celebration of Mitchell’s official start as music director.
- Sept. 15-17: The season’s official opening weekend features a program with Beethoven’s Symphony No. 5 and music by two living composers: Kevin Puts’ “Millennium Canons” and Mason Bates’ “The B-Sides: Five Pieces for Orchestra.”
- Oct. 20-22: Conductor Andrew Litton returns to conduct John Williams’ Concerto for Trumpet and Orchestra and Igor Stravinsky’s “Firebird” Suite.
- Nov. 11: Bassist Edgar Meyer performs a new orchestral work he composed, as well as Bottesini’s Double Bass Concerto No. 2.
- Dec. 10: Cellist Yo-Yo Ma performs with the orchestra.
- April 6-8, 2017: Litton conducts Aaron Copland’s “Rodeo,” which he recently recorded with the symphony. The evening includes music by Johannes Brahms and Samuel Barber.
- May 25-27: The season closes with a celebration of the centennial of Leonard Bernstein’s birth, as Mitchell conducts the “Candide” Overture and “Serenade (After Plato’s ‘Symposium’).” The program also includes Gustav Mahler’s Symphony No. 1, “Titan.”
View the full season brochure.
Hear David Rutherford’s in-depth interview with Mitchell.
Check out our Events Calendar for more details on upcoming live classical concerts throughout Colorado. Or read our summer season previews for Bravo! Vail, Aspen Music Festival and School and the Colorado Music Festival.