Table Mesa King Soopers in Boulder will reopen nearly a year after mass shooting
The King Soopers grocery store in Boulder where a gunman killed 10 people last March will reopen Feb. 9.
The store at 3600 Table Mesa Drive has been completely redesigned, with input from employees and community members. Company leaders hope the remodel will help people recover from the tragedy.
“We know that restoring this location is a very important step in our healing journey,” Joe Kelley, president of King Soopers, said in a statement announcing the plan.
King Soopers says the reopening will include a ceremony to honor those who were killed.
The store was originally set to reopen Jan. 20, but the company delayed due to a 10-day strike by employees across the Front Range. Plans to reopen resumed after union organizers and the company agreed on a three-year contract.
A judge found the alleged shooter mentally incompetent to stand trial in December. He has been transferred to Colorado’s largest mental health hospital, where Boulder District Attorney Michael Dougherty hopes he will improve enough to face more than 100 criminal charges tied to the shooting.
The Latest On The Boulder King Soopers Shooting:
- Donations: How You Can Help The Families Of The Boulder Shooting Victims
- Victims: Who We Lost In The Boulder King Soopers Shooting
- King Soopers Employees: "We Weren't Already Hard Enough? This Had To Happen Too?”
- Motive: Police Are Still Searching For A Motive
- Weapon: The Firearm The Suspect Bought Looks Like A Rifle, But It's Regulated Like A Handgun
- Guns: We Want To Hear From You: What Do You Want To Know About Gun Laws In Colorado?
- Next Steps: Colorado Lawmakers Are Considering A Ban On 'Assault-Style' Weapons
- In Photos: Here's Some Of What We Saw As Last Week Unfolded
- Mass Shootings: Colorado Has More Mass Shootings Than Other Places
- Mental Health: As Mass Shootings And Pandemic Collide In Colorado, Mental Health Experts Urge Connection Now More Than Ever
- Suspect: Boulder DA expects to file additional charges against the 21-year-old shooter
You want to know what is really going on these days, especially in Colorado. We can help you keep up. The Lookout is a free, daily email newsletter with news and happenings from all over Colorado. Sign up here and we will see you in the morning!